Friday, May 27, 2011

mi casa


So the house is a-comin' along! So far I have the kitchen completely unpacked and organized, our his and her closets organized, and Asher's room set up. There are still boxes taking over almost every room of the house, and on any given counter or floor you may find a random box of nails, old baby announcements that I forgot to send out that Asher found and spread around the house, receipts, sonic cups, etc... It's a mess!

I guess it's a good problem to have, but it's really stressing me out to have so much empty wall space. I can't fill the walls with pictures yet, because I have yet to decide on paint, or stenciling, or what I actually want to hang. I have so many projects to do that I've lost count. I have a ton of furniture to paint, a few art canvases to paint, bookshelves to buy, stripes to paint in the nursery, stenciling to do in the foyer....it goes on and on.


Half the boxes that are left can't be unpacked, because there is no where to put the stuff! We still have to build a built-in in my office for storage, which means our bills, paperwork, office stuff, and art stuff are ALL over the floor and completely unorganized.

I'm also finding that I'm making at least one trip a day to Walmart. The more I unpack, the more I have to buy! It's crazy.... I'm so over my original budget it's not even funny! (Well....not so over that I can't laugh about it a little...it was crazy to think we wouldn't need to buy stuff coming from an apartment to a house).

Sorry if that post was stressful! It stresses me out just reading what I wrote! :p  HOWEVER, despite all that, I am LOVING living in 4 x the amount of space we had before. I love having my own laundry room!!!!! Not having to get fully dressed, lug baskets of laundry across the hall, share washers and dryers with people who may or may not have taken their own clothes out of the machines, it's divine.

My favorite thing so far: Having a living room and a family room/play room. My living room can stay my own. It can look pretty. Before, our living room WAS the play room, and it never stayed nice. Now we have a place of our own. I did decide to call the play room a "family room," because it really bothered me that the first room you see when you walk in our house is a "play room." I picture a play room as primary colored-messy-toys everywhere-looking room. A "family room" is like the kids' living room. I got 2 white/ivory slipcovered couches for it, and an awesome yellow polka-dotted pottery barn rug, so it still is homey and inviting when you walk in the house.

Here are some pics of the house (before we moved in, without mess!)

Entryway. Family room to the left
Other side of the family room. We replaced the light with a fan


Guest bath

Master bath

Master bath

Breakfast area, door to master in the back


What really sold me on the house- the kitchen!

Kitchen. Huge skylight goes up 20 ft and is sooo pretty!

I actually have a cabinet for baby bottles! And Christmas dishes. And vases. Pinch me now

Living room, bad pic

Master window- I'm making a pillow for the window seat :)

Backyard. There's a really random playground right behind our yard-so fun!

Office- built-in will be done soon in that random empty space

Doors to the office, right off the family room


Just a few decor pics: 



Mantle :)

Mantle-mirror will probably not be there next week-doing a painting instead. New chair=love!

Asher's bathroom. When I saw this Anthro shower curtain on sale, I snatched it up!


Things I didn't know about buying a house:

1) Whatever your budget is, add $2000. At least.
2) Find out what day trash gets picked up. We missed it and had to store a week's worth of trash in the garage. GROSS. Quite different than having a trash chute at the end of our hall in Swiss Tower!
3) Garages come empty. Duh, I knew that, but I never put much thought into where things go, like all your tools, lawn mower, bikes, hoses, hugemongous trash bins, etc.... Craigslist shelves have become my best friend!
4) How empty your house will look with furniture from your apartment. I knew we'd need a lot more, and I'm thankful that we had furniture stored at our parents' houses and in storage.
5) All the small projects- we bought a new home, so we had to install blinds, seal all the tile grout (since apparently they don't DO that!?), install garage door openers, install a peep hole in the door, figure out the sprinkler system and AC unit (the first night we were here, it was SO hot, and we found out the next day that there was a switch in the attic that had to be turned on for the AC to work- NOT fun!)

I am so thankful for our home. It's been a long time coming- 4 years living in a college dorm room/house with roommates, 3 years living in a tiny apartment, and 7 years later- a house! It was perfect timing- we didn't rush things, we didn't feel like we HAD to get a house the minute we got married, and we had time to save up, and Chris will graduate this winter, and our baby is getting to the point where he needed more space to run and be crazy.

I can't wait to have the house ready to invite people over! Chris and I both want our house to have open doors and for people to always feel welcome. :)

3 day weekend, here we come! Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment